Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

Once Upon A Time: AKA: A Fairy Enchanted World



Confession: I am a fairy tale junkie, always have been, always will be. One look at my literature collection and you'll notice several versions of the classics, not mention the various fairy tale variant movies I own. From the evil dark Brothers Grimm versions, to the happy Disney-ified tales, to everything in between, I love it all. I've even started working on a novel featuring a twist on the classic Little Red Ridding Hood story. There's a reason these stories are classics, that we all know them, and this year's fall line up goes to show, the classics can still hold their own.

Last night ABC premiered their new fairy tale based show, Once Upon A Time, written by Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis. Yes that's right, Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis of Lost. Suddenly the clock being stopped at 8:15 make so much more sense.

The pilot was jam packed with action and exposition, it had to be with a storyline as big as the one they are trying to mount. The Wicked Queen has won, at least for now, and banished all the fairy tale characters we know and love, to the town of Storybrooke, Maine, where time stands still and they have no idea/memory of who they truly are. Their only hope in breaking the curse, lies in Emma Swan, a bail bonds person, who unbeknownst to her is the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, who is brought back to Storybrook, by her estranged ten year old son Henry. At first unwilling to believe all this fairy tale nonsense, something eventually takes hold of Emma and she decides, at the urging of Henry to stay, "for just a week".

I have been in love with this pilot since I first heard they were casting it, and I am so happy that so far, it was so greatly received. I can't wait to see what is in store for the denizens of Storybrooke, this show has defiantly clinched a spot in my must watch TV line up.


No comments:

Post a Comment