Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

American Horror Story: AKA: Sucked Into The Super Natural

So I just finished catching up on FX's American Horror Story, and as per usual am left in a perpetual state of WTF, that has come to traditionally follow each viewing.It's pretty smart on the parts of Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, seeing as I still don't know if I like the show but I am sucked into continuing to watch.

 After viewing this past weeks episode in preparation for tomorrow, The Boy raised an interesting theory, that Denis O'Hare's character, Larry, "definitely does not exist.", claiming him to be some sort of psychotic split personality of Ben's.  I call this theory interesting, because Larry was the only character who's alive-ness I never questioned. From the very first episode, I pegged Tate and Moira as ghosts, I've even raised doubts about Constance's existence, but Larry?  It was never a question in my mind. Props must be given to Denis O'Hare for some how making a physically disturbing man, humane enough to NOT haunt my nightmares. I suppose The Boy's theory is just as valid as any others out there. Let's hash this out for a mo-mo.
  • Larry was a former owner of the house. 
  • The only person to ever see him is Ben.
  • He seems to be acting only in Ben's best interest
  • How did Larry know that Hayden was there?
  • How did he dig the hole so quickly/well with only one good arm?
 So, The Boy is claiming "The Fight Club" defense in support of his Larry/Ben theory. I'm now very interested to see if it plays out.

I have to admit, I have never been a fan of Moira's, she annoys me, but for the first time ever, I actually feel bad for Moira. She just wants to go "home", or wherever one goes once they leave this world. She was drugging Ben so that he would find her body, which I suppose would set her spirit free. Now that Larry has buried Hayden's body on top of her, and Ben has sealed off the foundation and built a gazebo over the spot, she is forced to remain in this world. It's quite sad, really.

Three episodes in, and I'm beginning to feel the need for a Ghost type thing score sheet. So far these are the "Things" we have seen that dwell in the house:
  1. The Infantada (which is what the American Horror Story Wiki seems to calling that creepy nightmare inducing "thing" in the basement)
  2. Young/Old Moira
  3. Maria
  4. Gladys 
  5. Tate
  6. Troy
  7. Troy's Twin
  8. Nora Montgomery
  9. The S&M Suit Dweller
And that's only the things we know for sure are there and non living. While I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the show as a whole, it is definitely causing me to sit here and think, theorize and want to discuss, which is what "good" television should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment