Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

American Horror Story: AKA: WTF?


Full disclosure, I was both pumped and terrified for last night's premiere of American Horror Story on FX. I'd heard it was all sorts of creepy and the fact that it was one of the only scripts I couldn't get my hands on during pilot season had me intrigued. Not to mention the most INTENSE/best session I've ever had was some one who came in for the role of Ben.

I scarfed down dinner, grabbed my big, oh so soft purple blanket and curled up on the couch prepared to have the beejesus scared out of me. I even coerced The Boy's brother to watch it with me so I wouldn't have to watch on my own.

I have to say, while I am completely willing to give the show another shot, last night's episode wasn't as gripping as I expected.

First off I love Dylan McDermott, I really do, his dreamy presence was the only decent thing about that abomination of a remake of Miracle on 34th Street from the 90's, but honestly, I didn't need to see that much of his naked body. I started wondering if Ben have something against clothes? And watching him finish himself off and then collapse into tears after catching his version of Moira the maid playing with herself? We get it he's sexually frustrated. This also leads to the question of why does he see a different version of Moira then both his wife and daughter? Are Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk implying that men are more susceptible to whatever the evil in the house is?

Also, why is the evil entity so sexual? Between the multiple attempts of Ben's version of Moira to seduce him, and the creepy black vinyl suit man who Vivian has sex with, while assuming it's Ben, itseems to be driving a message, perhaps unintentional message, that sexuality/sexual desires are linked to evil. I'll admit I'm having a little trouble buy that after not sleeping with her husband for almost a year, Vivian would be so gungho to go for round two a few hours later with her "husband" completely silent and dressed in full S&M regalia.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised they jumped right into the demon baby storyline so quickly. I mean clearly sex with rubber man was going to lead to evil spawning, but how much time passed between the sexcapade and when she told her husband she was craving Indian food? It felt like it was the next day, seriously is it even possible to know that quickly? Do demon spawn has a shorter gestation period?

Can we also touch upon the complete lack of responsibility of Ben treating possible sociopaths out of his HOME office? I fully understand that there are therapists, especially on tv, who work out of home offices, Jason Seaver (Growing Pains), Dani Santino (Necessary Roughness) to name a few, but they don't treat patients there who have a high probability of harming their families.

Speaking of lack of responsibility, do the Harmon's ever lock their doors? I mean ok, I can buy the first time that Addy and her mother Constance got in, the back door was unlocked, but after that unnerving encounter, you would think that they would be a little more neurotic about locking up. Apparently not though, because there seems to always be people randomly wandering about the house.

Dennis O'Hare is absolute perfection as the creepy, mutilating-ly burned former house occupant with an inoperable brain tumor. Alright, I realize how weird that sounds typed out like that but it's the truth.

To be honest, maybe because it was over hyped, I didn't find the first episode all that freaky. I was more freaked/intrigued by the preview at the end of the show than the actual show itself.  I plan on tuning in for the next couple of weeks before deciding if I'm going to stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment