Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

Community "Biology 101": AKA: Returning to Greendale



I'll admit got into Community late, I had every intention of watching during the first season, I even DVR-ed some of it, since I have loved Joel McHale ever since he started on The Soup. Somehow it never really worked out though and Community never made it into my TV rotation, until my best friend received her season two DVDs the weekend I happened to be staying with her. I have since eagerly devoured both seasons of the show and have been eagerly been awaiting season three.

Last night was back to school, of course I was in transit home while it aired because on top of long hours I have a crazy commute and for some reason NBC decided to move the show to 8pm. Naturally, the first thing I did when I got home was rush to couch and start it up.

Once again, Community didn't disappoint, opening with a musical day dream sequence, in which they all promise to be more normal. Troy and Abed announce that they have moved in together, please, please, please let us get to see some at home capers.

Pierce is back, wanting to reenter the study group and everyone seems ok with that, except Jeff. It's only when Jeff gets kicked out of Biology that he realizes the "magic of the table". Kudos to Pierce for falsely confessing to bribing the new professor, to make Jeff feel better about his freak out.



Chang, who was outed about his vent living situation, was hired as a school security guard in exchange for room and board. The thought of Chang back in a position of authority, makes me gleeful, there's just so much potential in that.

I just want to point out that the name of the "monkey knockout gas" was Chimpan-zzzs, brilliant. Also Annie and Jeff sang that they were "Going to sleep together", I'm really curious to see how that will play out, given that we know Jeff and Annie will become more romantically involved this season.

 I've always love the insanely awesome guest stars Community manages to get. John Oliver (The Daily Show), Kevin Corrigan (Grounded for Life), Jack Black (School of Rock), Betty White (The Golden Girls), Josh Holloway (Lost) among many other lesser known who I recognize and sqwee giddily over. Last night we were given, Michael K. Williams (The Wire) as Professor Kane, the gang's new former inmate turned biology teacher and John Goodman (Rosanne) as Vice Dean Laybourne, head of the school of air conditioning repair. Side bar confession, I have watched a lot of Rosanne and secretly love it, so see John Goodman back on my tv made me happy.

The introduction of these two characters, who are far less zany, but no less interesting than are usual Greendale faculty should provide a really interesting new dynamic. I can't wait to see the interactions between Dean vs. Vice Dean. It's definitely going to be an interesting year.


No comments:

Post a Comment