Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Life Goals

So everyone has them, a list of things they want to do before they die. Call it a bucket list, life goals, whatever you want but we all have it. Some day I will eventually sit my ass down & write mine out. Today however is not that day, today I simply plan on focusing on 2 of those life goals which I will attempt to complete this upcoming year.

Goal 1: Learn to fight
This year one of my primary resolutions is to get in shape, & as the boy & I have installed a punching bag down in the basement, I see this as the perfect opportunity to learn how to throw a few punches & kicks. I watch a lot of action movies/tv shows, & it always drives me crazy when female characters sit back & wait to be rescued. I've always loved The Princess Bride, but let's face it Buttercup is completely useless when it comes to taking care of herself. When I was younger Buffy the Vampire Slayer was one show I watched religiously. I LOVED the fact that Buffy kicked ass & wasn't just some whiny defenseless little female. Even now, the shows I tend to be drawn to feature strong female characters who are more than capable of kicking ass & taking names. Detective Kate Beckett on Castle, Ziva David & Abby Sciuto on NCIS, just to name a few. And in all honesty in my head I see myself as just as strong & capable if ever the need to defend myself should arise. But let's be serious a moment here, the fact of the matter is that that is as far from the truth as one could probably get. I may be thin but I am far from being in shape. I lack muscle definition, upper body strength & stamina, and so it's gonna take some work to become more like the strong female characters I've always admired.

Goal 2: Learn How to Load & Fire a Gun
Ok first off let me start by saying, I don't want to actually own a gun, in fact I don't ever want a gun in my home, however, & again I feel like this stems back to watching too many action movies, I DO want to learn to shoot one. To be honest I can't see any reason why not to have this skill. It always bothered me in action films, when the female would somehow manage to get the gun away from the villain but then it would be rendered useless b/c she didn't know how to use it. I was recently watching Air Force One and was annoyed to no end when the first lady at one point was able to get the terrorists gun, but then held it helplessly. Also was upsetted that William H. Macy's character gets killed off, but that is a whole other issue. And while I never envision myself ever being in a similar situation, I can't see the harm in learning regardless.

It may sound crazy, but I'm really hoping that I'll be able to accomplish these two goals this year. You only get one life better live it to the fullest right?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment