Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2013

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries #87 "An Understanding" : AKA: Shit Just Got Real....




Ok, new episode of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. Clearly as I had a small break in my day I devoured it. First thought that comes to mind is, that I wonder if any of the throngs of fan girls (or boys, we're equal opportunist here) who felt the need to tell the Lydia, what a slut she was,  and how awful she was for interrupting the budding romance of Darcy and Lizzie, and berating her for "not listening" to them about George, feel about her calling them out on it?

Seriously though, she called them all out on it, and I have to wonder if seeing her reaction to it, and how it essentially broke her down, had any effect on them. In a world where these characters are so entrenched in technology, it is sometimes easy to forget that these are fictional characters, even so fictional or not the HATRED displayed against the youngest Bennet sister is some what appalling. Let's face it, in our own minds we have a very skewed perception of the world. "I would never allow myself to be manipulated by someone like that!" It's a far easier thing to say than do.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, this is the first time an interpretation of Pride & Prejudice that I have ever felt bad for Lydia. In every other telling of the story, I have seen her as nothing more than the bratty younger sister, who wants what she wants and will do whatever it s to get it, with no regard to who she may hurt in order to get it. Other Lydias have always had Kitty to pal around and be "silly"  with, making her far less isolated when Jane and Lizzie aren't around. I mean sure you could argue that The Lizzie Bennet Diaries'  Lydia has her own  Kitty,  a cat is hardly the same companionship that a sister is. In this particular version of the story Lydia truly is the odd man out, and it gravely effects her.

Also, George Wickham's abhorrent manipulation of poor Lydia is on shocking display in her videos leading up to the announcement of the website with the countdown to the sextape release. I mean come on, telling her "I love you" for the first time, while she was recording? But telling her she had to record a sextape with him to prove that she loved him as much as he loved her. I think I may be sick.

I will be the first to admit, I tend to get way too emotionally invested in the lives of fictional characters, which personally I don't see as a bad thing, so long as you can still separate the difference between fiction and reality, and right now my heart is breaking for poor Lydia. I can not even begin to imagine what she is going through, the man she loved, who she thought loved her, has betrayed her trust and decided to sell a sextape of the two of them, and cut off all communication with her. Then on top of all that she has the her "lovely" viewers/followers berating her on the Internet. Telling her she's "selfish", "being too dramatic"  that she is ruining her life as well as the lives of her sisters.

I'm honestly not sure how The Powers That Be over at The Lizzie Bennet Diaries are going to resolve the Lydia/Wickham drama. In the novel, Lydia's scandal is caused not by an impending sextape, but by her running away with Wickham, and so the logical fix to that situation is for him to marry her.  The idea of Lydia ending up even dating George after this, is in a word appalling. Honestly, I don't know how one goes about fixing something like this. I do, however, have faith that TPTD will come up with some clever way to resolve everything, maybe not all wrapped up in a neat little bow, but in a way that will satisfy.

AND I CAN NOT WAIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment