Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The River: AKA: Apparently I am a Wuss...

Alright I've always kind of known that. I mean sure I talk a real good game, and in my mind I have the fearlessness Xena and the fighting abilities of Buffy. In reality I have neither of these skills, though I attempting to at least improve my fighting skills, but that is a slow, ongoing process.

When The Huffington Post referred to The River as "The scariest new show on broadcast television," they weren't kidding. The show is just the right mix of suspenseful and terrifying. At the very least it has ensured that a vacation in the Amazon is nowhere in my near future.

The show has a fabulous way of mixing legend with fear. You fear it, they've got it. Doll tree? Boogeymen? Sudden blindness? Cave ins? Evil trees? I know what you're thinking, what's so scary about trees? Well, I point you toward the tree rape scene in The Evil Dead. You can't tell me that the idea of trees coming alive to harm you isn't freaky. In last night's episode, we find that the jungle foliage not only came alive to take Jonas, but also kept him just clinging to life for over six months, the man prayed for death just to end the pain. Remind me NEVER to piss off anything in the Amazon, okay, thanks.

 After last week's lack of new leads to Emmet, because let us not forget that is the primary reason for our little journey down the river, it was nice to get such a big lead. Kudos to the writers as well, for not only figuring out a way to introduce a new character, but also how to solve the pesky "we are short a cameraman, since the first evil entity killed our other guy in the first episode", in a way that was believable. Well, as believable as a show about magic and hauntings on the Amazon River could be. I'm curious to see where they are heading with his character, I think it's going to add an interesting new dimension to our little motley crew. If nothing else, it will give Lincoln a rival for Lena's affections.

Speaking of Lincoln, he gets major points for standing up to the whole crew about the fate of Jonas. It was nice to see him show tremendous backbone for what he knew was the right thing to do. Although he ended up not really having a choice in the matter, the point is he at least tried.


Mini points are also awarded to  Clark for knowing that they should always listen to Jahel when she's spooked, because let's face facts, thus far, she's ALWAYS been right. I'm actually glad that in the past to episodes they are making him less of a caricature. He's not just the hotshot producer who'll do anything for a "good show". Yes he wants good ratings, but he also cares about the crew, whether or not he chooses to show it.

I have to say the "jungle magic" for lack of a better word, seems very forgiving. You give back what you took, or prove yourself "worthy" and it spares you, at least so far. Part of me wants to believe that there is some meaning in that, but I find it almost too soon to fully commit to that.

Seriously, I can not wait for next week's episode. Although I find myself significantly spooked each episode, I'm excited to see what twists and turns are in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment