Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Matt Smith To Leave Doctor Who: AKA: My Ideas About The New Doctor on the Horizon

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I never fully expressed my Who love here, so I'll try to make that clear first. Doctor Who is my own personal brand of heroine, (yup there's a sorta Twilight quote for you). I am addicted, completely. I love the show for so many reasons, but mostly I love that it is so intelligent and well thought out. There are parts of the story arcs that have been in place FOR YEARS, and to me, that is amazing. I love the fact that it causes you to theorize and remember , and I even love the fact that it makes me, unlike most shows, an emotional wreck.

That being said, emotional upheaval is bound to be included when cast members change. I was saddened when Nine left and became Ten and then devastated when he became Eleven. Although Matt Smith's Doctor was not my favorite, I still loved him and will of course be sad to see him go.

Which brings me to the issue at hand, who will become the next Doctor. Since the announcement of Matt Smith's eminent departure, all anyone seems to talk about is who will be the next doctor? There have been several wish lists circulating the interwebs, with dreams of everyone from Bill Nighy to Rupert Grint.  People have even begun to call for a female doctor, something that has never occurred in the Doctor's previous incarnations.

Now, I have recently noticed I tend toward the feminist side of things as of late, and as much as I would love the world to have another strong female character on my tv, something just doesn't feel right to me about having a female play The Doctor. I'm sure many of you will disagree with me, but hear me out.

The way I see it, or at least my own personal understanding, is that Time Lords, are a lot like humans. I mean of course there are differences, they are more advanced, the two hearts, the regenerations, but as far as we have been lead to believe they are human in appearance. They are both male and female Time Lords, as we have been shown, and they appear to have family relationships, after all The Doctor originally traveled with his grand daughter. All of this makes it a little hard for me to believe that they have the ability to randomly switch genders, especially so far into their lives.

Some fans will point out that during the 10 to 11 regeneration, after feeling his now longer hair, The Doctor remarks "I'm a woman?" as proof that it is possible for Time Lords to switch genders. While it is possible that that may have been the case, I would argue it was more so something uttered while The Doctor was out of sorts. After all he did forget he was crashing, and we've seen that after regeneration his mind seems to be spinning a mile a minute.

I'm sure there are plenty of women who would make fantastic Time Lords, just not THE DOCTOR. I realize this may not be the most popular of opinions and if a female does end up being cast as the next Doctor I will, of course continue watching, but that is how I feel. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment