Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Castle: "Murder He Wrote": AKA: Hilarity Ensues

Last Monday was easily my favorite episode in a long time. It was old school bubbly fun Castle. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved and enjoyed the show, but I would be lying if I said that it hasn't evolved more toward the drama side of dramedy in the past few seasons. Not a bad thing by any means, but sometimes, especially since TNT has started airing the earlier seasons, I miss the silly ridiculous banter side to the show. Last night old school Castle was back in full force.

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD


First of all I died when Castle called the boys about the murder and they made a Murder She Wrote joke. Sure the joke itself was funny, but made even more so by my own experience. Way back in the day, Castle's premier date actually, I still lived at home. My dad had come home that night and asked if I'd watch this new show with him that was starting that night. He told me it was about a writer who teams up with the police to solve crimes. "Basically," he said, "It seems like it's going to be like Murder She Wrote but with a guy." Having had had that conversation before the very first episode, the Murder She Wrote joke was probably way funnier to me than others.

While discussing the show this weekend, yup this is how we do, I mentioned how I really hoped that Ryan would be the first of the crew to uncover the truth about Caskett. Think about it, him knowing and not being able to tell anyone is gonna be hilarious. In my mind it is the equivalent of Joey being the first to know about Monica and Chandler.

The way Ryan found out was perfect too. We rarely get to see Ryan in an interrogation setting, and even when we do, he more often than not is playing "good cop" to Esposito's "bad cop", so it was a real treat to see him go all hard ass on someone. Especially when you see that the transition didn't occur until he started hounding the suspect for info on Castle's "girlfriend". His look of smug satisfaction as he talked to Castle was beyond perfect, like the cat who ate the canary. Though I can't help but worry about how Esposito is gonna take it when he finds out Ryan has been holding out on this info. I hate when the boys fight. Seriously, last year's season finally left me beyond upset that they weren't speaking, and don't even get me started about the two of them beating the crap out of each other at the end of season three.

All and all it was a fantastically fun episode. It's nice to see the Castle PTB bringing the funny back.

No comments:

Post a Comment